South Korea has confirmed its third coronavirus-infected patient on Sunday. The patient, a 54-year-old Korean man and a resident in Wuhan, entered into the nation on Monday, without showing any symptoms.
The person has been under quarantine at Myongji Hospital in Goyang, Gyeonggi Province, after reporting his symptoms to the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Saturday.
“Upon arrival at the airport, the patient showed no symptoms,” the KCDC said. “However, he started suffering from fever, chills and muscle cramps from Wednesday."
His condition seemed to have improved for a few days, but it soon got worse, forcing the patent to contact the health authorities on Saturday. He has since been placed in isolation for tests and treatment at Myongji Hospital, which was designated by the government as treating such patients, the KCDC added.
The agency stressed that more information about the third case would be made available throughout the day.
|Korea confirmed its third coronavirus patient on Saturday. The continuous appearance of new patients has put both the health authorities and local hospitals on high alert as they are working to contain the new infection originated from China.|
Meanwhile, the KCDC said it had checked 47 people who have shown symptoms so far, and all of them tested negative for the illness.
However, experts are concerned that the patient may have infected his community as a super-carrier of the new coronavirus, as it took five days before he reported his symptoms.
The KCDC emphasized that people feeling ill should immediately contact its emergency call center by dialing 1339 before directly visiting a hospital. It also asked the people to wash their hands frequently, cover their mouths when coughing, and, if they have respiratory problems, wear a mask.
<© Korea Biomedical Review, All rights reserved.>